Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Beauty of Block Printing



One of my favorite things is hand printed textiles and papers made from handmade wood block stamps. I have a collection of stamps I keep in a dish that I am planning to one day hang on my wall. I came across this video showing how these handcarved textile blocks from India are made and used while perusing a favorite home decor site, West Elm. I found it fascinating.






Here are some of my blocks. They are so beautiful, even as they are old and falling apart. They are pieces of history and small works of art. I love that they can be used to print on fabric, paper, wallpaper, and clay. I haven't printed with mine yet because I honestly love them just as they are. But I think I may have to try using some fabric paints or dyes with my blocks and do some printing.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...