Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Maxfield Parrish

Last weekend is was Father's Day and we decided to head to Elk Grove (Sacramento area) on Saturday - just for the day - to see my husband's family. We left home early and arrived about 10am to my brother-in-law's home. We went out to lunch at B.J.'s and had a delicious meal and a wonderful visit with everyone - my brother-in-law, his wife and my husband's dad. Back at my brother-in-law's home, the guys talked cars and the kids swam, so my sister-in-law, also named Jenny, and I decided to head to the Crocker Museum to take in the current Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966) exhibit. He was an American painter and illustrator who was famous for the dazzlingly luminous colors that marked much of his artwork; the shade “Parrish blue” was coined in acknowledgement. I was so excited! I love his work and always love going to art museums. Jenny and I even ended up buying the same book that included an extensive offering of plates of his work. It was funny when we each went to pay for our book with different credit cards with the same name on it. The cashier was a little confused at first but we all laughed about it. Anyway, if you get a chance to be in the Sacramento area you should stop by and enjoy this exhibit. After we finished at the Crocker, Jenny took me to a cool bead store, The Bead Fetish to buy some beads. I loved the whole vibe of the store....very bohemian, colorful, funky. You can tell just from looking at the storefront. Now, my philosophy is 'you can never have enough beads' so I had to buy just a few to add to my arsenal of jewelry making supplies at home. I can't wait to make something fabulous with them.

After the bead store we decided the men had been left alone long enough so we headed back to my sister-in-law's home. We wrapped up the day by sharing our adventures with everyone over a snack tray of cheese, crackers and fruit. My family and I headed for home around 6pm, ending a perfect day with family. I drove - while my husband and our boys slept soundly - as I sipped a Starbuck's and listened to Rock tunes while blazing down highway 99. We were home by 8:30pm and Gabby was quite glad to see us. Another great weekend!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...