Monday, January 9, 2012

A lot happens in a week...


A lot happens in a week. Last time I posted it was December 29th--right on the brink of a new year. I wanted to write about my reflections on the past year, or my resolutions for 2012. Instead, my old German Shepherd, Phoebe, who was struggling with old age as it was, went downhill over the New Year's weekend. (This picture was taken back in September). We said goodbye to our good friend on Wednesday, January 4th at Abby Pet Hospital. I have to give high praises to the staff at Abby Pet because they were so attentive to my husband and I as I sobbed and held Phoebe's head in my arms for the last time. Goodbye, sweet girl... My backyard (and my heart) are a little empty right now.

Two days after this I left for a pre-planned weekend at Pismo Beach to join several of my girlfriends from high school to celebrate our friend Jamie's birthday. Her two daughters arranged everything as a surprise for their mom. We were part of the surprise.

Here's the view from our hotel...
Without giving away her age I will say it was a milestone birthday--one we are all celebrating this year. It was so much fun - just what I needed after losing Phoebe. Here's what we did: We walked on the beach, shopped in San Louis Obispo (the picture below shows us cutting through the famous Bubble Gum Alley), gossiped in an oceanfront hot tub until we were prunes, ate See's Candy without feeling guilty, drank champagne in a limousine while enduring green strobe lights, toasted Jamie at sunset on the beach, took pictures of each other, ate Italian food, drank more champagne in a limo, discovered how to turn off the strobe lights, made fun of Andy-the-limo-driver when he drove us through a strip mall shopping center and bottomed out, rocked out to the music we loved in high school, and laughed over old pictures of us from our younger days. Wow, time flies when you are living life! We all looked pretty good, too, but Jamie looked the best!


Happy Birthday, Jamie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first day I met my dog Pheobe she was a very playful dog.Then as the days went on she got older and was not as active as she was.The last days Pheobe had were unknown until January 4 2012.I will always remember the moments I had with Pheobe.The last time I said goodbye to Pheobe was January 4 2012.She died in my moms arms, I will always love Pheobe.I hope the new dog I get will be just the way Pheobe was. Love Noah

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...